Saturday 10 August 2013

Tourist Day!!!

Today I went on a tourist outing with the lovely Canadian that I met on the CNIS (http://www.cnis.ca/) course that was running in Gondar Hospital the previous week. We went to the castles in Gondar which are amazing!! And would have been more amazing if we (the British) hadn't bombed them during WW2 - but to be fair we were trying to liberate Ethiopia - but I apologised all the same!!

 


 We then went to the baths - which are empty all the time apart from during the festival of Timkat where they are filled and everyone piles in to celebrate the baptism of Jesus Christ in the River Jordan - happens on the 19th Jan - so I am looking forward to that!

Then we took a drive up to Hotel Goha which gives the best views of Gondar and the region around and it is breath-taking!! The surroundings are not what you think Ethiopia is!! I think that this is going to be a favorite place for me over the next 6 months! It takes you right away from the hustle and bustle of the town below.




As I had previously tried the red wine we thought it was right to try to local white wine! It tasted a bit like sherry - maybe we should have taken the advice given to us previously...mix it with Sprite!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment