Thursday 25 July 2013

Ready to go!!!

....well almost ready to go! I fly at silly o’clock on Sunday (28th July) morning. My belongings for the next 6 months are strewn around the flat and are making their way into my case and rucksack. Do I need to take a potato peeler - how easy it is to acquire one of these in Gondar? How many immodium is too many? Have I remembered my cagoule and umbrella? – the weather in Gondar is very, very, very wet with plenty of thunderstorms every day!! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/336014 - weather in Gondar).

Things I have learnt....
Don't feed the hippos
http://www.ted.com/talks/ernesto_sirolli_want_to_help_someone_shut_up_and_listen.html

This man is great! A very dry sense of humour about how he "helped" the African nations!

(If you haven’t found TED talks yet then I really recommend them – totally diverse talks which overall are about Spreading Ideas.)


It's not my "project" - I am there to facilitate improvement and change - not take over - when I leave, any improvement or change still needs to endure.
I am likely to see corruption - I think this will be really difficult to deal with but it's all part of the challenge.
I do not want maggots living in my buttocks!! - Therefore I will not dry my clothes under mango trees (I don't know if there are Mango trees where I am going) - apparently the larva drop into your clothes and then when you wear your underclothes the larva find a nice place to rest!! - if you iron your underwear it sorts out the problem!!

So all in all, I think am I am ready! I have heard that Ethiopian people are very friendly and kind and I can’t wait to get there and meet everyone who I will be working and living with!

No comments:

Post a Comment